Dogs

Ven ven at vvcrane.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Nov 11 19:46:00 EST 2000

Date sent:      	Fri, 10 Nov 2000 11:29:06 -0500
From:           	owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net (dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones))
To:             	dwj-digest at suberic.net
Subject:        	dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #242
Send reply to:  	dwj at suberic.net
Hallie wrote
> Ok, all you cat people have had it all your own way long enough! ;)
> I quite agree about the wonderful cat details in DWJ books, but also
> feel that she must have had (and loved) at least one dog somewhere
> along the line, given the wonderful description of Leo/Sirius in
> Dogsbody.  So at least this will swoop briefly on-topic.

There's the dog Oliver (?) in TOG, I always felt very sorry for him,
he was even more neglected than the girls. And the dog in the
short story, Warlock at the Wheel. I've been racking my brains
trying to think of more DWJ dogs, I'm sure there are others.

I'm your opposite Hallie, a confirmed cat person who likes dogs. I
loved the descriptions of Leo at play, the way he bows his front
legs and bounces to get people to play. I think their enthusiasm is
one of the most endearing things about dogs. How else could they
drag us out for walks in filthy weather except by convincing us it
will be great fun and almost convincing us that it is once they're out
there. When my friend Sid was my lodger he had his two alsations
with him (german shepherds), Skoda and Zeuse. I used to look
after them in particular on Saturdays when he was running round
the countryside being a hunt saboteur. Zeuse is clever, rather sly
and more than a bit naughty.  She continually tries to evade
supervision so that she can pinch food, fight other dogs and, when
they are available, chase sheep. She has amazing stealth for such
a big animal. I didn't allow her on the sitting room sofa but she'd
creep on and stay absolutely still any time I was engrossed in the
TV . She also has a way of moving toward a forbidden goal (like a
plate of cold chips) inch by inch by subtle shifts of position. She
once took an hour to creep all around a table just so she could
resume a barking match with someone else's dog. No, Zeuse is
not a good dog  but you have to admire her sneakiness and nerve..
She once came up with a superb plan to get a football back off her
son. She ran up a slope then put her head in a bush and wagged
her tail excitedly as though there was something in there. Skoda
followed to see what she'd found, dropping his jaw and the ball. The
ball rolled down the slope, Zeuse whipped round straight after it and
poor old Skoda was left with his head in an empty bush wondering
where his football had gone.

I was a bit scared of dogs before those two came to live in my
house but they cured me. I realised this when I silenced a nasty
big barking rottweiler with the same voice I'd learned to use on
Zeuse when she got really out of hand. Mostly however its because
 they taught me to like dogs and understand them.
                                           Ven.