Dogs/ Dogsbody

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Sat Nov 11 12:40:08 EST 2000

In a message dated 11/11/00 2:36:05 AM, hallieod at indigo.ie writes:

>But Kathleen I found hard -
>possibly because she seems much closer to Victim than people usually
>do in DWJ books.  At least IMO. So in that way it left me feeling sad
>also.

This was fairly typical of Jones's earliest books. Most of the lead
characters' starting points were one incorporating some level of
victimization (legitimate or not. Kathleen's was worse than most of the
others) and proceeded to get control of the situation by the ned of the story
(or turn control over to someone who could be trusted). This device never
completely disapears, since, after all, it is a classic way to get things
rolling.

(Example: Sophie's story doesn't really get off the ground until the witch of
the waste attacks her, even though she has more or less colaborated in being
a victim long before that.)