Dogs/ Dogsbody

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Sat Nov 11 04:34:02 EST 2000

>Apropos of, well Sirius, I guess, and also sequels--has anyone read "The
>Starlight Barking" by Dodie Smith? I first read it as a child and was a
>bit startled by it as a sequel to the "101 Dalmatians", but I seem to
>remember when I first read "Dogsbody" it reminded me a tiny bit of the
>earlier book. It's been a while since I've read either one, though. I
>think "Dogsbody" is actually my favorite DWJ book (definitely a dog
>person, I have 2 cats, an iguana, and a tarantula too but my 2 dogs are
>my babies) but it's one I found too sad somehow to want to reread all
>that often. I'm not even sure why anymore I found it so very sad, I just
>remember crying a lot and not really being in the mood to cry that hard
>again anytime soon over a book. Can you love something but still find it
>hurts a bit too much to go back to all that often? Or is that too
>contradictory for it to qualify as my favorite then? In that case I'd
>have to opt for "A Sudden WIld Magic" due to some decidedly Zillah-like
>tendencies and situations in my life, dammit. (Pre-happy-ending Zillah,
>that is.) Anyway, I've never posted here before so, um, hi. And sorry if
>I've omitted or violated any list protocol.

Hi, Maria!  What an interesting menagerie you have!  Reminds me of
the school the girls went to when we were living in the States
(Tucson, AZ).  Becca was lucky enough to bring home the class pet
tarantula for the holidays.  I didn't mind him too much, but we were
all puzzled by his bald backside, until we saw on Reading Rainbow
that tarantulas shoot off their hair when they're upset.

I only read Dogsbody a few months ago, when it was re-issued, and
felt as if I'd two sets of responses to it.  The parts about Sirius,
and all his doggie ways I truly loved.  But Kathleen I found hard -
possibly because she seems much closer to Victim than people usually
do in DWJ books.  At least IMO. So in that way it left me feeling sad
also.

Anyway, welcome to the list, and don't worry about protocol - this
certainly isn't the sort of list where anyone's going to get snitty
because you do or say something which isn't according to some
stringent rules!

Hallie.