Dogs

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Fri Nov 10 07:34:13 EST 2000

Ok, all you cat people have had it all your own way long enough! ;)
I quite agree about the wonderful cat details in DWJ books, but also
feel that she must have had (and loved) at least one dog somewhere
along the line, given the wonderful description of Leo/Sirius in
Dogsbody.  So at least this will swoop briefly on-topic.

We got a dog of our own recently, just after I'd read Dogsbody to
Cara, and there were strange resonances.  The dog was rescued by a
woman, when it followed her into her pub. Presumably she was thrown
out of a car (right near the middle of town) - abandoned because she
was pregnant.  The sheer meanness people are capable of never fails
to amaze me...

Anyway, we named her Belvane (yes,it's from a book), but call her
Bell (_not_ Belle, Becca says - reverting to our names thread, and
agreeing that spelling of names does make a difference).  She'd been
named Bailey after the drink, so we'd to keep the name sounding
similar, but were not going to leave it at that!

The poor dog was rather unsettled for a while, as you can imagine,
but now knows she owns the place.  The funny things which relate to
Dogsbody include her learning what we were saying.  When she first
came, she didn't know the word "walk", but picked it up incredibly
quickly.  For about three days in a row, I'd talk to her as I was
putting on my runners before taking her out, and she'd _watch_ me
talking, with amazing concentration.  Reminded me eerily of Leo
trying to learn to understand human talk!  After a few days, she'd
bark if asked if she wanted to go for a walk - but she'd a special
short bark, which sounded frighteningly like "ALK"!

But then she got really terrified of cars and started balking,
shaking and even sometimes lying flat on the road refusing to go any
farther.  I knew exactly how Kathleen felt dragging Leo backwards on
his first walk.

The non-topical funny thing is her food preferences: pasta I think is
shared by lots of dogs, apple was vaguely surprising, but not that
strange, but when we discovered grapes, mango (we only tried this
because Cara dropped a bit on the floor - it's far too expensive to
have been offered to her just as an experiment!), tangerines, peas,
cooked carrots, broccoli and sweet potato, it's just plain weird.  It
seems almost like any human food, except that she won't touch banana
or onion (only two I've discovered so far).

Back to topical, she chewed up the cover of our copy of Dogsbody,
which was funny remembering the "teething" problems in the book, but
decidedly unfunny otherwise!  She also runs away every time I take
out the broom to sweep, which wouldn't even have struck me, except
for Duffie hitting L/S in the book.

And for one last effort at being on-topic, Becca says we should have
named her Vierran, because she has high cheek-bones (she's a cross
between a collie and a mystery, according to the vet).  Cara said we
should have called her Sophie, because I nick-named her Mrs. Nose.
All the bedroom doors upstairs fall shut, probably because the house
has settled, although it could possibly have been built uneven.
Anyway, she regularly pushes them open just to poke around and then
gets stuck in there - until rescued by one of us, if anyone's home!
She's also learned the sound of the car, and pushes aside the
living-room curtain to watch sadly as we drive off, or greet us when
we come back.  It looks so sweet from the car, as all you can see is
the long nose and two eyes above it.  And can she ever pack an
emotional punch with a look!

Hallie (who'll shut up now, and leave things back to the cat-lovers).
(And fwiw, we had several cats as well as dogs when I was growing up,
and they were lovely, but I'm still decidedly a dog person).