Archer's Goon

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Fri Nov 10 04:52:20 EST 2000

> Is the
>story a metaphor for anything in particular. I have also just finished the
>book and cannot help but feel that I am missing something.
 Mark;
I think it might be bureaucracy she's having a go at... you know,
Departments? However, it's also a hefty dose of Know Yourself and There But
For the Grace Of God Go I...
I don't think one is ever *sure* with DWJ. That's why her books are so
endlessly fascinating to me.
Sallyo.

What makes it feel to you that there is a metaphor? I'm curious- I've always
just read it as a story, Howard And Awful And How They Grew. The seven
powerful siblings who want to rule the world have sort of mythic overtones,
(as Sallyo says- there's always more to a dwj book!) but I don't think it is
an allegory of anything.
Jennifer