Covers (and things)- The Sorcerer

Rowland, Jennifer A B jennifer.rowland at ic.ac.uk
Tue Nov 7 05:13:24 EST 2000

Oh! my name is John Wellington Wells
I'm a dealer in magic and spells,
     In blessings and and curses
     And ever-filled purses,
In prophecies, witches and knells.
Philip

I've never seen it either, and would love to. I think it's shorter than most
of the others? Anyway, the (excellent) film Topsy-Turvy shows part of a
performance of it, and one of the Charlotte Macleod mysteries takes place
during the rehearsals and performance of an amateur version of it, so you
get snatches of the songs. (C. McL. is *wonderful*, very funny. The book
starts with a letter from the heroine's highly unpleasant aunt, telling her
friend all about the foolish operetta her foolish cousin is putting on, and
recounting the plot of it in order to show how awful it is! Very crafty. And
aargh, I can't remember the title. It's one of the Kelling ones- Aunt Emma's
Romney is stolen- I can think of the whole plot, bits of dialogue,
everything, but not the dratted words on the cover. Grrr, I hate it when my
brain does that. Can some erudite person help me?)
Jennifer