Covers (and things)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Tue Nov 7 04:32:06 EST 2000

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000 Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

> The new uniform edition of Chrestomanci books have a strange person
> on the cover.  He looks a bit like Chrestomanci, only more of a
> showman than an enchanter, and not _nearly_ so well-dressed!
>
> Last week I discovered who this person is.  It is, of course, John
> Wellington Wells.  ("Who??" I hear you cry.)

No, you don't. John Wellington Wells has been a family injoke for
years. (My dad is a pharmacist by profession, and spends his days
giving people mysterious potions that will alleviate their problems.)

> It comes from "The Sorceror" by, as you will by now have guessed,
> Gilbert and Sullivan.  What amazes me is that I've never heard it
> before.

It's one of their least well known operettas, I believe, although I
can't remember why (unless it has something to do with the ending).

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."