Howl's magic

Tanaquil2 at aol.com Tanaquil2 at aol.com
Tue May 30 23:17:22 EDT 2000

In a message dated 5/30/00 5:24:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, emcmullin at kl.com
writes:

> Max said:
>
>  "I *think* (can't find my copy of Howl because my daughter has run off with
>  it) (again)...."
>
>  Heh heh heh - that's the kind of temptation that really shouldn't be
>  resisted.

:)  *Not* a problem in this house!  She managed to read 'Dark Lord of
Derkholm' FOUR times before I could get my hands on it!  She just started
lurking on the list btw, so if you want to surprise her by saying hi, her
name is Emma and she's 9 and (natch) loves DWJ.  She mayn't be ready to
'officially' delurk quite yet though.  Hi, Em! xoxo

>  And didn't he do his doctoral thesis on magic?

That does make magic sound v scientific too.

>  I like the idea of magic being a way to perceive and do useful things based
>  on the same laws of the universe that are the foundation for scientists to
>  do useful things.  In fact I am not so sure that science is so different
>  from magic - it's just certain preconceptions which attach.  My thought is
>  that both would be based on a understanding of how things work.  Surely a
>  little demonstration of chemistry would look like magic to someone who
>  didn't know.  All sorts of things.  Oh and I just ran across an article
>  about the "death ray" of Archimedes (eureka in the bathtub fellow).  When
>  the Romans came to invade his island, they apparently may have used large
>  mirrors held by a long row of people and coordinated on focussing the sun
on
>  the wooden ships - which did burst in to flame very satisfyingly, for the
>  defenders.  Neither here nor there, I'll move on...

Wha'?? Huh?? Death ray?  I never heard this! <pattering sounds as Max runs
off to find an encyclopedia>

>  Hmm, if you can tell your computer to fetch me a cup of coffee, now *that*
>  would be magic!

We have a toaster that supposedly knows by itself when the toast is done and
pops up.  It's called the Bread Brain but it's v old now and our bagels tend
to ignite if we don't supervise.  We call it the Bird Brain.  And what are
those things that were so cool in the early 70's: "Teasmaids"?  They were
part of your alarm clock and would sound a buzzer and fill a teapot with
boiling hot water.  Quite dangerous when you think about it.  At least if
you're as bleary-eyed as I am in the mornings....

Max