Fire and Hemlock

Alex alex.mb at zoo.co.uk
Fri May 26 09:39:27 EDT 2000

I too think that Seb's mother was an ordinary mortal; I seem to remember
some reference to it and it's that that gives Seb his normal, listening to
the Doors side. Seb is in danger though because he will be given to Laurel
in Mr Leroy's place when Mr Leroy dies jsut as Leslie is set up to take
Tom's place if he dies. What I do have difficulty with is who the woman who
died was. I'm not completely sure that it was Seb's mother, I think that it
was Laurel who told us that and everything she says is questionable. Also,
why would she be leaving all that she owns to Laurel?

The other thing I wondered about was why Tom had been left the pictures. Was
it to control him, and was the fact that Polly ended up with the Obah Cypt
one f the reasons why she and not Laurel began to have some power over Tom's
life? The amorphous figures in the Fire and Hemlock picture became, in some
way, Polly's creation not Laurel's.

I'm also intrigued by the figure of Granny and the way in which Polly's
Grandfather was also taken by Laurel. I always wonder why Granny remained so
close to to there when the evil in the house had taken her husband. Was the
weakness in Polly's father caused by his own father's dalliance with Laurel
and therefore was the failure of his marriage to Ivy due to that? In which
case, Polly's relationship with Hunsdon(?) House could be construed as being
directly related to Laurel' s relationship with her Grandfather.

I've got lots more questions but that'll do for now. I love that book.

By the way, I alsways thought that the end with the nowhere and the use of
the double negative was based simply on word play and on the chilly logic
used by Laurel; I hadn;t got anywhre near as complex as some of the stuff
coming from this list.

By the way, what is this Cecelia book you keep referring to? I've never
heard of it.

Alex