Lime trees, lindworms and Ultima Thule

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Thu May 25 14:36:41 EDT 2000

> In a message dated 5/24/00 7:16:30 PM, ven at vvcrane.junglelink.co.uk writes:
>
> << has any one else noticed that
> Chipping is originally a word for market? So, in HMC, Market
> Chipping means Market Market.  >>
>
> Oh, you mean like the La Brea Tar Pits (a local specialty of the Department
> of Redundency Department)...

:-)

But you really need go no further than Porthaven....

Philip.

PS While on the subject of Thule, from the 1855 edition of Dr Lempriere's
Classical Dictionary:

THULE, an island in the most northern parts of the German Ocean, to which, on
account of its great distance from the continent, the ancients gave the epithet
of _ultima_.  Its situation was never accurately ascertained, hence its present
name is unknown by modern historians.  Some suppose that it is the island now
called Iceland, or part of Greenland, whilst others imagine it to be the
Shetland isles.

FWIW, I have also read part of Norway as a location for Thule.  As for
pronunciation, Dr. L gives a long U but is silent on the rest of it.  The e is
presumably pronounced.  The Th is likely to be either T or as in Think - I can
see no reason for pronouncing it as in This, as someone mentioned they'd read
the other day, but I'm not an historical linguist :-(.

Just my half groat...

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.