Worms from Lind

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Wed May 24 12:36:48 EDT 2000

On 23 May, McMullin, Elise wrote:

> I like ideas about the farthest west, and far off places in general, and can
> do a little laundry list of what cultures have called it, although I can't
> vouch for total chapter and verse accuracy as it is off the top of my head:
> Hmm can't think of anything else off hand.

You completely forgot Westernesse of "The Lord of the Rings" fame! Yes,
I know it's arguable whether it's a myth, but I think Tolkien himself
at some point wanted Middle Earth to be Earth a long long time ago (not
in a galaxy far far away ;)

And re the Lindwurm discussion: there is an area in Middle Earth
(mentioned in "The Silmarillion") called Lindon (which might
unconsciously have caused the "lands of Lind" in "Hexwood")

> Is a linden tree the same thing as a lime tree?

Well, if a lime tree is a tree that bears limes (like lemons), it is
not... but if limes have nothing to do with lime tress, my concept of
lime green has changed!

Britta
--
  \ /   ASCII Ribbon Campaign