Mythical Company Names

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed May 24 11:52:04 EDT 2000

On Wed, 24 May 2000 alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca wrote:

> My two favourite myth-based company names are "De Vliegende
> Hollander"  (pardon the spelling), a Dutch air-travel company
> called, yes, "The Flying Dutchman" [I saw this one myself], and
> "Ixion Wheels" [mentioned in a book of collected C.S.Lewisiana], a
> bicycle or motorcycle manufacturer named after the poor fellow
> condemned, if memory serves, to spend eternity in Tartarus bound on
> an ever-revolving wheel.

On to fictional mythical company names... :)

In a technothriller I read once, the hero's brother works at a firm
that creates logos for other companies, where he's having real
problems with his new boss. The hero, of course, makes a pile of money
with his new AI technology, and immediately promises to fund his
brother's retirement.
Just before quitting, the brother gets his revenge on his boss in the
following manner: The firm has been offered a really big job - a new
airline is allowing them not only to design a logo, but choose the
name of the airline. Our hero prompts his brother to suggest naming
the airline ICARUS "after the Greek god of flight". The boss likes the
idea so much she insists on taking full credit when they present the
name to their clients...

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."