Worms from Lind

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Tue May 23 11:05:45 EDT 2000

JOdel said:

"My association is with the phrase "Ultima
Thule" which I first found defined (In Martin Pippin in the Daisy Field,
fwiw) as:
"Ultima Thule ... is the farthest bourne. It is the horizon of man's
universe: farther than he can go, very nearly farther than he can see, and
exactly as far as he can think." I do know that it is a concept that is
within the popular mindset, or used to be."

This lind worm discussion and its branches are very fascinating.  I always
read Thule as Thool, but I was recently informed it is Too-lee.  It's so
hard to change one's mind about pronunciation isn't it?

I like ideas about the farthest west, and far off places in general, and can
do a little laundry list of what cultures have called it, although I can't
vouch for total chapter and verse accuracy as it is off the top of my head:

Hyperborea - Greek myth - more the furthest North & west - a land of warmth
sheltered by mountains in the cold wastes of the far north - full of wise,
beautiful, long-lived people.

Hesperides - islands in the far west - Greek myth - recently read someone's
theory that they were actually the Caribbean islands and the golden apples
brought by - was it Meleager? to tempt Atalanta in the race were actually
oranges.

Antipodes - the underworld - Greek - I've read something else which asserted
that when Greeks referred to the Antipodes it wasn't in a mythic sense, that
they literally meant the western hemisphere on the other side of the world.

Amenti - The Shining Land or The Bright Land - The Horizon - Egyptian - I
think it is Osiris who also bears the title Foremost of the Westerners -
still unclear to me whether this was more of an afterlife idea or both
literal west and otherworld west.  But from what I've read I've gathered the
sense of the idea as being that we here on earth are following in the steps
of those wise and beautiful people who have gone west before us, and that
this following trek is called The Long Journey.

Tir n'an Og - (see Celts in Tough Guide  ;) - Irish - kind of reminds me of
the Bright Land, except I don't get any idea from my reading so far that
mortals are headed there naturally.

Hmm can't think of anything else off hand.

Is a linden tree the same thing as a lime tree?

Back to lurking!

Elise