Lindwurm

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Sun May 21 16:24:37 EDT 2000

Bettina wrote:

> here is what the Duetsche Wörterbuch by Jacob and Willhem Grimm
> (yes, they are the
> ones that also collected the German fairy tales) say about Lindwurm.
<snip>
> Lindwurm, m. drangon, old german lintwurm, linduurm, linuurm,
> middle german lindwurm; a tautologic form in which the already in old
german
> uncommon word "lind" meaning snake was put together with "worm" in the
same mainig to explain
> it...."there are snakes and lindworms of such size that they devour
people"
> (Elucidarius)...
> the word is forgotten in the 17. century;
<snip>
> So, from what I gahter as lind and worm originally meant "snake",
> the dragon without wings (and feet) description fits...

Aha! This explains why some of those baby-naming books give the meaning of
'Belinda' as 'snake' - I never could understand why, before. I always
thought Belinda should derive from the Spanish 'linda' meaning beautiful
(all the Belindas I have known have been beautiful, and not in the least
snakelike!)
Regards
Elizabeth.