Happy about Harry Potter

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Fri May 19 11:05:37 EDT 2000

>Understatement of the year, I should think!  Presumably the "Linguistics" is
>computer languages?

Well, not exactly. The Computational Linguistics part (which I prefer) is how to describe a language in
rules that a computer could understand. Have you ever heard of Noam Chomsky? He "invented" a few classes
of grammars, and generally tries to find the rules of language, but there are also other people who do that.

(Actually, making a little grammar for a computer to parse and generate sentences is quite easy - it's the
semantics stuff and the keeping track of what was said that's hard)

>Too hard for me - I'll stick with nice easy things like Shakespeare.<g>

Well - I've read a bit of Shakespeare, but I wouldn't call him easy! But if finally a computer understands
Shakespeare's plays and can even comment on stylistic bits - then I guess I'll be out of work, though it may take some time.

(I thought Data from Star Trek was plausible, until he got his "emotion chip"...)

Well, enough lectures for today!

Britta