Worms from Lind

Courtney M Eckhardt cme at MIT.EDU
Thu May 18 14:15:11 EDT 2000

Could this be another reference to the "World Snake"- the
snake/worm/wyrm/wingless dragon that appears in many myths that's supposed
to wrap all the way around the world and be continually eating it's own
tail?  (It's also one of the oldest symbols for circularity, continuity,
and infinity.  Earthquakes were supposedly caused by the restlessness of
this creature.)  In some legends, I think it was benign, whereas in others
it was a constrictor-type that heroes or gods tried to kill.  Or maybe I'm
just on crack. :)

Lindwurm... dragon without wings... land wyrm... World Wyrm?  Just a
guess.

Courtney