Happy about Harry Potter

otheng otheng at kinghenry8.coventry.sch.uk
Thu May 18 10:39:58 EDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Britta Koch <bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de>
> In the meantime, I'm fighting my way through "The Mystery of Udolpho",
having recklessly decided after reading "Wuthering Heights",
> to start with one of the first Gothic novels. Well, half the book is
scenery, and in the other half, the heroine faints all the time... but it's
> still fun, and I have to find out what was behind the curtain (and if taht
isn't told in the end, I hope Ann Radcliffe gets what she deserves
> for not telling it).

Britta, if you haven't already done so, you must read Jane Austen's
"Northanger Abbey" straight afterwards. The heroine reads "Udolpho" during
the book too - and you'll get all the jokes much more easily!

Gill