Big huge thingy dealing with many thingies

alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
Wed May 17 11:18:14 EDT 2000

Hello Ingrid!

On Fri, 5 May 2000, Ingrid Blythe Atkinson wrote:

> 2. Re-reading books.
> Okay, so I'm sixteen, it's not exactly an old age. I don't think age
> really has anything to do with how your views of literature change,
> although that may be part of it.

I thoroughly agree.  What's more, C.S.Lewis (whom I quote whenever I can
manage) agrees also.  I think he writes something to the effect that no
reader worth his salt follows so-called "age group" categories.  (He
writes it far more eloquently, though.)  My own reading habits keep
alarmingly little pace with my age (unless, like Merlin, I regress through
time... :)

> Talking of Howl brings me to another question that's been bugging me.
> Who do you guys think is the main character of Howl's Moving Castle? At
> first glance one would think Sophie. But why do we think Sophie? Because
> the book is told from her point of view of course. Because we start with
> her. But is she the protagonist (is that even the right word for the
> main character in a DWJs novel?) or is it Howl? Everything major in the

Oh, that's such a good point!  But I guess it's good narrative strategy to
choose a "naive" character, to whom matters are as much of a mystery as to
the reader, as the point-of-view character... And I also think Howl is the
sort of character who is more fun to observe than to introspect.  (To
introspect somebody?  Gah.)

And since we're talking of HMC, let me confess that if I ever had to dress
up as a DWJ character, it would be Howl that I'd try to impersonate.
Hmm... Azure suit or scarlet?

Alexandra