Lilith myth?

gross argross at bigpond.net.au
Wed May 10 00:35:51 EDT 2000

Britta asked:

> Since there appear to be quite a few fantasy writers thriving on
> rewriting old myths (F & H, Robin McKinley), and since I am totally
> hooked on the "Lilith" myth (Lilith was the first wife of Adam, and
> speaking of strong females, she sure is one! I think she later has a
> relationship with Lucifer, but that may be invented by the folks at
> White Wolf Games ;), I wonder whether any of you know of any books
> featuring her. I'd be very happy to hear any suggestions!

There are three novels that come to mind:

_Lilith_ by George McDonald
_The Dark Blood of Poppies_ by Freda Warrington
_A Dance in Blood Velvet_ by Freda Warrington

The last two are sequels to Freda Warrington's _A Taste of Blood Wine_, one
of the most unusual and startlingly good vampire fantasies I've read, but
only the last two feature Lilith. There is some info about her in the books,
too. Warrington weaves the Lilith myth through the concepts in the books.

Roslyn Kopel Gross