dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #159

Susan Petrey benjiboz at earthlink.net
Tue May 9 23:09:41 EDT 2000

Hello, everyone.

I rarely send anything in, though I enjoy the list a lot.

Britta--one of the Narnia books discusses Lillith.  The Queen in The Lion,
the Witch and the Wardrobe, it turns out, is really Lillith.  You find this
out in the book (with Polly and Digory in it) which features the creation of
Narnia.  I don't recall the name at the moment.  Clearly, this is a very
negative portrayal of her and may not be what you're looking for.  However,
when I found that out, it made me have more sympathy for the poor witch.
She is the strongest female character in any of the Narnia stories, yet you
know she'll be defeated.  Also, everyone she knows is dead.  She has always
seemed such an interesting person to me.

This reminds me of Diana, though, in an opposite kind of way.  Are there any
tragic figures in the DWJ corpus?  It seems to me that the villainesses (is
that a word?) get what they deserve so that you don't feel particularly bad
about them.  Gwendolyn in Charmed Life gets off easy, the Nick's mom in Deep
Secret is as evil as they get and Laurel in F&H is outside the normal rules.
How about Sally in The Time of the Ghost?  Opinions?  Is she tragic?

Susan