Torquil/names (loosely)

Courtney M Eckhardt cme at MIT.EDU
Sun May 7 13:51:58 EDT 2000

In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0005071018040.13587-100000 at merlin.sccs.swarthmore.edu
>, Kyla Tornheim writes:
>On Sat, 6 May 2000, Courtney M Eckhardt wrote:
>> I've been thinking about the Alanna books... and I've been thinking that
>> the deepness issues that people here have complained about seem to be
>> strongest in Wild Magic and the first two Alanna books- The Woman Who
>> Rides Like a Man felt deeper to me, and certainly Lioness Rampant felt
>> like the most complex and engrossing book of them all.
>That's interesting, considering that she originally wrote the thing as one
>enormous 732-page novel. And then, when she got an agent, the agent
>suggested that she turn it into four books for teenagers. So maybe she
>felt she had to--I dunno--edit down the first books a bit more, or maybe
>it's because Alanna herself is younger that the first books seem younger.

Oh, wow.  I would have loved to read it in its origional form... I *adore*
long books- comes of finishing 400-page novels in a day in a half in
junior high, when I still had time to get lost in books for hours at at
a time...

I suspect Alanna's age has a lot to do with the "youngness" feeling.
She definately felt "young" to me when I read them- where "young" means
still have an innocent faith in your own drive, and being firecely
independant because you can *feel* you're right on the edge of growing up.

>Tamora Pierce's webpage is at
>http://www.sff.net/people/Tamora.Pierce/index.htp
>She has an interesting biography, and she's quite funny--she really does
>sound like that in person. (Swarthmore College's fantasy and science
>fiction group, of which I am no longer treasurer or president because we
>have other people to do those things now :^), brought her to speak on
>campus. So for two hours she talked about politics and the publishing
>industry and books all of which have influenced her and her writing in
>various ways. It was great. It was fascinating. No one wanted to leave.)

Oh, that's great!  And her page says she'll be coming to the Boston area
soon... that may be the one event that I take the time it write down on a
calendar this year. :)  And maybe I can get to New York for the readings
she's doing there with Patricia McKillip...

Courtney