Torquil/names (loosely)

Rebecca Ganetzky rganetzky at madison.k12.wi.us
Sat May 6 21:08:38 EDT 2000

>>Torquil is a Scottish name, via Norse (as in Thor - Thork(et)ill) & Gaelic
>>(Torcail). It's a beautiful name; it also happens to be my brother's name.
	This reminded me of something.  Tanaquil (note the 'l') is a name
in Edmund Spenser's the Fairie Queen.  At the end of Spellcoats the note
said that there were mistakes in the translation...it just made me wonder,
any ideas?
-EBVS
By the way, to introduce myself, I'm a high school student in Wisconsin (of
all places!)  I got hooked on Diana Wynne Jones books quite young (second
grade I read CL followed by Tale of Time City).  I'm fairly obssessed with
Fairie (pun not intended), which means I spend a lot of time discussing
Fire and Hemlock, although Deep Secret comes a close second on my list of
favorites.  I also haven't read AG or 8d of L in awhile because, while my
library isn't as bad as Princeton apparently is, we only have one copy of a
lot of books in the state library system and someone has this tendency to
take out the only copy of F&H from October first until November 31 :)
A couple other "re"s since I went to sleep before I mailed this last night:
*Dressing up:  A bunch of friends and I dressed up as Robin, Tanaqui and
Mitt one Halloween.  Mitt with the ring and crown (no sword; you don't give
seven year olds swords).  It was very interesting.
*Alanna books, YAness, thereof.  I don't know if anyone else has
experienced this but at Barnes and Noble here Alanna the First Adventure
and I believe Lioness Rampant are Adult books and all the other Pierce
books, including Woman whio Rides like a Man and In the Hand of the Goddess
are YA.
Anyway, my name is Rebecca, but I *prefer Em, (Hence the signature)