identical twins/reality (was Re: Introduction)

Courtney M Eckhardt cme at MIT.EDU
Sat May 6 20:52:42 EDT 2000

Thayet was fantastic!  And a strong enough character that she could
actually realistically beat out all of the other women competing for that
polititcal position... rathar than being relegated to "beloved mistress"
in favor of the crazy from the Copper Isles because the situation demanded
a more politically useful wife...

I've been thinking about the Alanna books... and I've been thinking that
the deepness issues that people here have complained about seem to be
strongest in Wild Magic and the first two Alanna books- The Woman Who
Rides Like a Man felt deeper to me, and certainly Lioness Rampant felt
like the most complex and engrossing book of them all.

Also... I can't remember for sure, but I *think* there might have been
some mention of wild magic (as a concept) in the Alanna books.  Soon I'll
have my own copies, so then I can check.  And just having finished Wild
Magic today, I remember wild magic as a talen being represented as
something that was not a Gift and which came fromthe outside, or from an
affinity with something (in Daine's case, an affinity with animals),
rather than soomething totally internal.  The excercise of it is very
diffent and seems consistent in it's own way, so I personally don't
dismiss it an an invention to create more unique characters; it feels to
me more like an investigation of another neat way such things could work,
if they existed.  And since Daine has more of it than any other known
person, and since it manifested itself so subtly in her for a long time,
it's very possible that in the face of popular disbelief (which is
expessly commented on several times), it was just not noticed.

Major Spoilers for Wild Magic Here:

In fact, near the end, in Daine's vision when she nearly dies from
stopping her own heart, it's pretty clearly implied that she is part
divine, and that her father is an Oak King/Pan/Bacchus/Master of the Hunt
sort of deity, which would be the source of her animal affinity and her
wild magic.  This seems to imply that wild magic is in fact the way
magic works for the gods of that world, which have already been shown to
be quite real.  I can't remember too well since it's been a long time
since I read the salient book, but might this explain the odd
circumstances surrounding the Goddess's creation of Alanna's gem?

Courtney

In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0005061630100.18533-100000 at merlin.sccs.swarthmore.edu