identical twins/reality (was Re: Introduction)

Sat May 6 01:17:25 EDT 2000

On Fri, 5 May 2000 16:29:49 -0400 (EDT), Kyla Tornheim wrote:

>warning: spoilers for Song of the Lioness (the Alanna books) are contained
>herein

>I first read the quartet when I was in elementary school (and our
>library's copy of "Alanna" was missing the 20 pages in which Alanna gets
>her period and George finds out that she's a girl--I was *really* confused
>for a bit),

I can imagine.  :)

> and I was horrified that SPOILERSPOILERSPOILER she didn't
>marry Jon. I couldn't figure out why anyone would marry George
>instead. And then I reread them two years ago, after I'd
>started college, and said "Duh! Jon would've wanted her to change! And
>George had always loved her! Duh!" END SPOILER

Yeah, it took me a long time to figure that out too!  I was (I thought) so
good at figuring out who was going to end up with who (whom? oh, who cares)
and I was so sure she would end up with Jon, the thing about George
completely slipped under my romance radar.  I got to the end of the series
and went, "Huh? George is just a friend!"  My mistake.  It made more sense
when I was a grownup.  :)

> And I've always liked romantic fiddle-faddle.

I distinctly remember being in the school library in fourth grade (aside for
my fellow bibliophiles--this was a truly incredible library, all dark wood
and spiral staircases and loft spaces with big fluffy pillows, wish I had
one of my own) and checking out Laura Ingalls Wilder's book _These Happy
Golden Years_ for about the twentieth time that year, and innocently
remarking to the librarian that it was my favorite Little House book, and
the librarian smirked at me and said, "You must be a real romantic" because
that's the book with Laura and Manly's romance in it.  And I was so
embarrassed, because it was totally true, I loved reading about their
courtship--but, dangitall, I was *tough*!  I could beat up any boy in
school!  I was *not* a sappy gurrrrl...only I was, really.  As young as all
that.

Melissa Proffitt