not ordinary vs. god-touched

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri May 5 22:23:47 EDT 2000

On Fri, 5 May 2000 Wholergo at aol.com wrote:

> This to me is the main difference between Lloyd Alexander and, say,
> Tolkien or L'Engle - the people are people rising to magical
> circumstances not unique personages with great and unique abilities.

At the last con I went to, there was a panel on Heroic Fantasy where
they said that there was a difference between "a person acting
heroically" and "a hero". A hero, they said, is somebody special,
larger-than-life; whereas even normal people can act heroically in
abnormal circumstances.

Then they started arguing among themselves about whether Sam Gamgee
was a hero. :)

(I was reminded, actually, of one of Tom Holt's novels, in which the
hero and the guy who got things done were two different characters.
Who didn't like each other much.)

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."