identical twins/reality (was Re: Introduction)

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Fri May 5 15:06:41 EDT 2000

On Fri, 5 May 2000, Courtney M Eckhardt wrote:
> sister, we look *identical* at the same age except for hair color
>
> authors didn't take the interesting, unsual, exceptional, rare, and wildy
> odd events and people to use in their stories, why would we read them?
Speaking of hair color, and as someone who does really like Tamora
Pierce's books, my problem with the way Alanna looks (once I'd gotten over
the "but they can't be identical fraternal twins!" thing) was that she has
red hair and purple eyes. I felt sort of like Tamora Pierce had said
"Let's make her look *really* cool and unusual." And instead it feels a
little like a cliche. I'd prefer that her uniqueness weren't quite so
obvious to the outside world...That said, I think that the purple eyes do
work, especially as the color of her gift is purple.

To bring this back on track, one of the things I like about DWJ is that
her characters think they're ordinary and then discover that they're
not--but they're still not, oh, god-touched or anything. They're just
unique in the way that everyone is.

--Kyla