Introduction

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri May 5 00:36:09 EDT 2000

On Thu, 4 May 2000, Melissa Proffitt wrote:

> On Fri, 5 May 2000 10:42:13 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

> > the book-I-read-when-I-was-too-young-to-understand-it that
> > sticks in my mind was by Sheri Tepper.
> > And it's possibly my favourite book ever, oddly enough.
>
> So, which book?

_The Song of Mavin Manyshaped_.

> And you must have understood it sufficiently to really love it...
> unless you mean that what you *thought* it meant when you were
> younger turned out to be completely wrong later, or something.

Well, I understood the plot, more or less.
The thing I didn't understand when I first read it was the
significance of some bits of the plot - mainly, what it was that was
happening in Mavin's home town that made her decide to run away. But
that didn't seem to make as much difference as one might expect.

It helped, I think, that Tepper didn't come straight out and say
what Mavin was escaping from, because I'd just have gone "What?".
What's done instead is more to describe what the
thing-that-was-happening meant to the various characters,
which was more useful to a young boy who didn't know what the
thing-that-was-happening was.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."