Introduction too

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Thu May 4 23:21:34 EDT 2000

On Fri, 5 May 2000 13:13:52 +1000, Sally Odgers wrote:

>Weren't there a few female athletes who came up with an extra chromosome? I
>think they were XXY ... I suppose it might be a trillions to one chance for
>something like that to happen in a case of twins.

Yes, there are cases where babies are born XXY or even XYY (I have *no* idea
how that happens).  However, if that egg splits you'd still get two babies
who were both XXY.  When the egg splits, it creates two identical copies.
You can't split a chromosome so that half goes to one egg and half to the
other without simultaneously making them *un*-identical twins...

Jacob