Archer???

Thu May 4 19:06:09 EDT 2000

On Thu, 4 May 2000 21:03:23 +0200 (CEST), Britta Koch wrote:

>> "Schrecklich" is another option which I like.  (I do speak and read a little
>> German, but my vocabulary is practically nonexistent.)  It is a synonym for
>> "awful" but seems to suggest horribleness rather than frightfulness, as I
>> recall....
>>
>So "awful" has as a connotaion not only horrible, bad, but also
>frightful? I always tend to overlook that "schrecklich" comes from
>"Schreck" (= fright), so I don't use any of these words when taking
>about frightening things... or is frightful unlike frightening?

I think so--like Courtney said, it's more like "disturbing."  Isn't that
sort of the British English connotation, by the way?  Like saying "how
frightful!" and it means "how dreadful/awful/horrid" rather than "That's
scary"?  A question for all the Brits out there....

Isn't linguistics fun? :)

Melissa Proffitt