Archer???

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Thu May 4 15:03:23 EDT 2000

I seem only to chime in on the linguistic questions, but then I _do_
study computational linguistics. Btw, hi Bettina! I'm from Germany too,
and have ordered quite a few DWJ books to reread in English - but
lob.de is very slow - I've bben waiting for the books for months!
Another reason why I always post off topic ;)

> "Schrecklich" is another option which I like.  (I do speak and read a little
> German, but my vocabulary is practically nonexistent.)  It is a synonym for
> "awful" but seems to suggest horribleness rather than frightfulness, as I
> recall....

So "awful" has as a connotaion not only horrible, bad, but also
frightful? I always tend to overlook that "schrecklich" comes from
"Schreck" (= fright), so I don't use any of these words when taking
about frightening things... or is frightful unlike frightening?

Aaaah... connotations. Once you stop looking up words in a dictionary,
you thrive on them ("I don't know what it means, but I can tell you
what I connect with the word").

Linguistic greetz,

Britta
--