Guardian review

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Thu May 4 10:51:19 EDT 2000

On Thu, 4 May 2000, jessie wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Kyla Tornheim wrote:

> > I'm on a crusade (where "crusade" means "suggesting that we buy
> > them" :^) to get Swarthmore's science fiction and fantasy library
> > to have a bigger DWJ collection than just "A Sudden Wild Magic."
>
> Why does this happen?  ASWM is the only DWJ that Princeton's library
> has, and I think that's terrible :(

Libraries tend to get books that attract their attention, regardless
of appropriateness; DWJ's first adult fantasy is more likely to
attract attention than yet another juvenile fantasy from DWJ.

Another case I've noticed (veering off topic) is a series of my
acquaintance, about twenty volumes long, where the publishers changed
the cover design about two-thirds of the way through. If a library has
any book in the series, it tends to be the first one with the new
cover design.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."