Re-reading books (was: Introduction)

Irina Rempt ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Wed May 3 13:55:43 EDT 2000

On Wed, 3 May 2000, otheng wrote:

> But some are a terrible disappointment - much thinner, less vital than
> I remembered. "The Weirdstone of Brisingamen" is particularly sad in that
> regard - I remember adoring it - but no more. :-(

Same here - it was absolutely my favourite book in my early teens.
Probably because it was the first of its kind that I read. I have the
same experience with some "grown-up" books: "Excalibur" by Sanders
Anne Laubenthal, which is strikingly like "The Weirdstone of
Brisingamen" in some respects, also has that effect. When I read it
now, I remember my earlier experience and I'm very disappointed that
I can't read it like that any more.

I've collected a few of my childhood favourites, all in Dutch so most
people won't know them - "Het Pierement achter de Woonwagen", "Ilja
de kleine ganzenridder" and others that I haven't been able to find
for twenty years and more, and I find that I remember scenes - not
even key scenes, but they must have set the tone of the book for me.
Frequently, those scenes are much shorter and less striking than my
imagination made them in the meantime, and I almost miss them on
rereading. Especially when I found "Ilja de kleine ganzenridder" at
last, I was shocked to see that it was a *kids' book* in the worst
sense of the word, with very crude fairy-tale imagery that I didn't
remember at all.

   Irina

irina at valdyas.org (myself) - http://valdyas.conlang.org (Valdyas)
          http://www.valdyas.org/irina/index.html (home)