Introduction

otheng otheng at kinghenry8.coventry.sch.uk
Wed May 3 04:25:21 EDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Kyla Tornheim <kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu>

> > I'm a veteran of having read quite a few books when I was substantially
too
> > young for them.
> Maybe I never read books when I was too young for them, which is why I
> don't have Courtney's problem. :^) My major problem is when I reread a
> book that I've loved in the back of my head for years, and it seems thin
> and worn ("like a letter that's been read too often"--"The Witch of
> Blackbird Pond" is one of those books that is *still* wonderful).  This
> happened, most disappointingly, to me with "The Lark and the Laurel," by
> Barbara Willard.

I have had exactly the same experience. I participate in a Compuserve
reading group based on kids books and have really enjoyed re-reading and
discussing books I first read as a child. Many - "Railway Children", "Dark
is Rising", "Green Knowe", DWJ of course - come off as well or better now as
then. But some are a terrible disappointment - much thinner, less vital than
I remembered. "The Weirdstone of Brisingamen" is particularly sad in that
regard - I remember adoring it - but no more. :-(

Gill