Introduction

Kyla Tornheim kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Tue May 2 15:36:30 EDT 2000

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Mary Ann Dimand wrote:
> Courtney raised a fascinating topic:
>
> > Hmm... has anyone ever found that they try rereading something
> > they read as a child and find they're reading it as that 12-
> > year-old (or whatever) again?  I know I missed a lot in some
> > of the books I read as a child or a teenager, but when I go
> > back and read them now I have to make a conscious effort to
> > not regress into that child or teenager and see no more than I
> > saw before.
>
> I'm a veteran of having read quite a few books when I was substantially too
> young for them.
Maybe I never read books when I was too young for them, which is why I
don't have Courtney's problem. :^) My major problem is when I reread a
book that I've loved in the back of my head for years, and it seems thin
and worn ("like a letter that's been read too often"--"The Witch of
Blackbird Pond" is one of those books that is *still* wonderful).  This
happened, most disappointingly, to me with "The Lark and the Laurel," by
Barbara Willard.

Since as soon as I get home I'm going to go to the library and take out
about half of the books they own (we have no limits on numbers. This makes
me happy. :^), I'll be able to see if I read things as me now or me then.