Introduction

Tue May 2 14:31:29 EDT 2000

On Mon, 01 May 2000 01:48:27 -0400, Courtney M Eckhardt wrote:

>Definately, welcome. :)  Always happy to have new people to argue with
>Melissa. ;)

Humph. Of course, it's always other people arguing with me. *I* never argue.
Since I am Always Right, there's no point.  :)  (I'm coming off a long
stretch of reading nothing but Amelia Peabody mysteries and it's affected my
brain.  It helped to skip two of the early novels and pick up again once
Ramses wasn't quite so young and obnoxious.)

>Hmm... has anyone ever found that they try rereading something they read
>as a child and find they're reading it as that 12-year-old (or whatever)
>again?  I know I missed a lot in some of the books I read as a child or a
>teenager, but when I go back and read them now I have to make a conscious
>effort to not regress into that child or teenager and see no more than I
>saw before.

This happens to me a lot, but my reaction depends on what book it is.  In
many cases, I *want* to regress.  I think I've said before that a lot of
things go into my reading experience...things associated with the first time
I read the book, smells or sounds or the color of the light, I suppose...and
sometimes that's what I want to regain.  I think it's like trying to hold on
to part of my youth.  If I analyzed those books, I'd lose something even as
I gained that new perspective.  The difficulty for me is in determining
which is more valuable.

The books that I try not to read this way are (as Mary Ann said) books I was
way too young for, and didn't fully understand the first time.  But in those
cases, it's like my mind isn't in quite so much of a rut--probably because I
didn't get it and the book didn't make a huge impression on me.  It's a lot
easier to read those as the adult I've become.

Melissa Proffitt