Guardian review

otheng otheng at kinghenry8.coventry.sch.uk
Tue May 2 08:39:16 EDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Kyla Tornheim <kyla at sccs.swarthmore.edu>
> I remember reading something about how they (the U.S. publishers, I
> think) were reissuing the first Harry Potter book with a discreet cover
> for adults who were embarrassed to be seen reading something as obviously
> "for children" as the original cover demonstrated....
Bloomsbury started doing this in the UK as soon as it became obvious what a
cult they had on their hands. Book 1, for instance has a moody black and
white photo of a steam train on the cover....

> Since I have de-lurked, I might as well introduce myself. My name is Kyla
> Tornheim; I'm a junior at Swarthmore College, outside of
> Philadelphia; when I'm home I live in Boston.

Hi, Kyla! I'm in the UK, in Coventry to be precise, but I'll be visiting
Philly in July!

I can't remember the first time I read a Diana Wynne Jones book or which one
it was--hmm, maybe "The Ogre Downstairs." All through elementary school,
continuing through last summer when I got home and my older sister said
"Here, read the new Diana Wynne Jones book I got," my mother, sister and I
have been reading DWJ's books and discussing them. And giving them as
presents to people. And bonding with other people we discover are fans. My
favorite, hands down, is "Hexwood"; I think it's her masterpiece and won't
let people read it until they've read most of the other books.

I like it, but I think "Homeward Bounders" is even better, especially with
that heartbreaking conclusion.

 I'm on a crusade (where "crusade" means "suggesting that we buy them" :^)
to get Swarthmore's science fiction and fantasy library to have a bigger DWJ
> collection than just "A Sudden Wild Magic."
>
> It's truly lovely to be on this list, and I am having a wonderful time
> procrastinating by reading through the archives. :^)

I daren't even start that! I read these e-mails at school and *just* have
time to read a day's set at a time.