Introduction

Courtney M Eckhardt cme at MIT.EDU
Mon May 1 01:48:27 EDT 2000

Definately, welcome. :)  Always happy to have new people to argue with
Melissa. ;)

Hmm... has anyone ever found that they try rereading something they read
as a child and find they're reading it as that 12-year-old (or whatever)
again?  I know I missed a lot in some of the books I read as a child or a
teenager, but when I go back and read them now I have to make a conscious
effort to not regress into that child or teenager and see no more than I
saw before.  Because I've read it before, I know what's going to happen,
and it's almost like the words on the page and the feel of the book in my
hands are only there to jog my memory, and my mind steps on the gas and
goes flying through the familiar paths of the story.  I guess this happens
much less with books (or movies, it definately happens with movies too)
that I don't remember as clearly.  It's like the part of me that's
wallowing in the wonderful story is getting ahead of or stomping on the
part of my mind that would like to analyze it and try to see things missed
in the first go round...  To some smaller extent this even happens with
books I've read much more recently and want to read again (like Deep
Secret, one of my all-time favorites).  It even happens a little with
music -except that if I don't listen to the piece for a long time and then
listen to it again the impressions from before (unless they're *very*
strong associations with people or places or something) have faded and I
get more out of the experience.  Somehow, that doesn't happen to me ith
books, though.  It's like my good literary memory is a handicap.

I hope that all made sense... It's somewhat late here and I have a hard
time describing the sensation.  I'd be interested to hear if anyone has
any comments.

Courtney