dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #148

Tony Fox tonyfox at beeb.net
Fri Mar 31 13:09:44 EST 2000

> In a message dated 3/29/00 5:53:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:
>
> > I still haven't worked out what bread sauce
> >  is...
> Isn't bread sauce British?  A kind of severely-thinned-down bread stuffing
> (such as one does to turkies at Thanksgiving) which is served in place of
> gravy?
> Ah, language--
> Devra

No. It's not like gravy at all. It is thick, the consistency of porridge and
very subtley flavoured  with peppercorns and bayleaves which have been
infused in the milk used to make the sauce. You need a really good gravy to
go with it though as the turkey is too bland if you only serve bread sauce
with it. i like it a lot but then I love what we Brits call nursery food ie
steamed puddings, crumpets, etc