dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #147

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Mar 30 12:30:11 EST 2000

>> Ah, but I, and most of the other Australians I know,
>> pronounce the comet
>> bloke to rhyme with "Sally"... dunno why, but we do!
>>
>> Hmmm - maybe because to say it "Hay - lee" reminds us of Hayley Mills?
>
> Because it's written Halley - and the double-l - to me - indicates a short
> vowel.
> Not that I *think* this out, its just instinct.
>
> I've never worked out why people call it Hay-lee's comet.

Well,  I've alway's called it Hallie's Comet, if you see what I mean.

But the only person I know with the surname Halley I think pronounces it as in
Hall.

FWIW.

Philip.

PS isn't there a rhyme about the comet in which "Halley" has to rhyme with
"periodically"?

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK