Food in DWJ

alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 29 23:06:27 EST 2000

(Look, look!  Back on topic!)

One of the things I tend to enjoy a lot in books is food--oddly enough,I
find it more enjoyable vicariously than directly (and as a child I could
only be convinced to eat by being told stories).  I love the faun's high
tea in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, or the dinner at the
Prancing Pony in The Lord of the Rings.  Or this, from Ethel Wilson
(delightful Canadian novelist, with the gift of the delicious sentence,
the power of portraying convincing goodness, and a sense of humour rather
Jane-Austen-like in its deadly kindliness):

"When they had eaten fried trout and bacon, homemade bred, tomatoes still
smelling of the leaves of the tomato plant, apple pie and coffee, they all
went out onto the veranda" (Swamp Angel).

In DWJ, however, I can remember only one instance of thoroughly delicious
food in DWJ--when Tanamil feeds the children in Spellcoats.  Otherwise,
food seems to be a fertile source of ick-humour (the school dinner in
Witch Week and the endless pickled cherries in Crown of Dalemark spring to
mind).  I wonder: what are the ingredients of a
really comforting good-food scene?  Of enjoyable (and not purely gross)
food humour? And am I missing anything in terms of DWJ meals?

Alexandra
(embarrassed at sounding like a truly bizzarre species of glutton)