dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #147

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Wed Mar 29 09:24:21 EST 2000

> :-)  But is it Small, Medium-Sized, Medium-Big or Big?

Big!

> >Remind me to tell you the one about the pies some time...
>
> Oh please - now!  I need more distraction.

Well - we have pies you buy from a takeaway. You ask for a pie and sauce.

This really puzzled one of my editors (he's from Denver) because he was
thinking about pumpkin pie and sweet sauce!

Our pies are made of meat and gravy in pastry, and our sauce is made from
tomatoes. I think you call it ketchup.

We also have apple pies, apricot pies and so on... but if you go to a shop
and ask for a pie, you'll get the meat one.

Really, I'm not too fond of the Aussie meat pie - it's usually soggy and
either too cold or too hot. Some bakers make their own, which are *much*
nicer. The rule is, if it comes in a little plastic packet, - ick! If it
comes out of the baker's own oven, yum!

It took me a while to sort out the ketchup thing ... especially whenI first
heard about chocolate sauce :-) I still haven't worked out what bread sauce
is...

> Thank you!  I didn't get this at first, but only because my name rhymes
> with yours, and is not pronounced like the comet fella's.  (Which has
> nothing whatever to do with PanCelts having names you must consult the
> glossary to pronounce!)

Ah, but I, and most of the other Australians I know, pronounce the comet
bloke to rhyme with "Sally"... dunno why, but we do!

Hmmm - maybe because to say it "Hay - lee" reminds us of Hayley Mills?

Sallyo.