dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #147

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Mar 29 08:50:09 EST 2000

>That's not
>> going to start a food fight - or international incident, is it?
>
>Yep. Very International.  Sounds like an Incident from the Tough Guide!

:-)  But is it Small, Medium-Sized, Medium-Big or Big?  Betrayal?  capture
by an enchantress/pirates/priests/northern barbarians?  My eye caught on
being enslaved as a GLADIATOR and having to FIGHT in the arena...  (Guess
what I'm writing an essay on?  The importance of the games to the Romans!
Never _ever_ thought I'd be able to quote DWJ as a reference.)

>I resisted
>> so hard saying anything about how unusual it was that you in Australia
>used
>> "chips" to mean both "chips" and "crisps"/"potato chips" and "french
>> fries".  (Yes, I realize I've just done it now!)
>
>Remind me to tell you the one about the pies some time...

Oh please - now!  I need more distraction.

>You're forgiven. I even used your name for a character in a book! (CHAT).
>She calls herself "Comet" in the chatroom...

Thank you!  I didn't get this at first, but only because my name rhymes
with yours, and is not pronounced like the comet fella's.  (Which has
nothing whatever to do with PanCelts having names you must consult the
glossary to pronounce!)

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie