Oh no, how embarassing !!!

Fri Mar 24 11:31:47 EST 2000

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000 22:57:51 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:

>> I know you must all think I am a bit of a crook the way I have been going
>
>No, I don't think that at all. Photocopying something that's in print is
>definitely "crooked" but if it's out of print and unlikely to be available
>again - what's crooked? Who are you defrauding? Not the author, who can't
>get royalties on a book that is not available. Not the publishers, who
>can't get any income from an unavailable book. As I see it, you're doing no
>worse than if you were lending your copy to someone.
>
>It might, possibly, be a technical breech of copyright, but copyright is
>meant to protect author/publisher interests and there are none at stake
>here.

About ten years ago a friend of mine really desperately wanted a copy of a
particular book.  It was completely out of print and not likely to see
daylight ever again.  She actually wrote to the publisher, or someone, and
got permission to make a photocopy for herself.  No fuss, no hassle, except
for the time she spent doing it.  It certainly didn't hurt them any, and was
a better solution than stealing it from the library.  Not that she would
have done this.  I hope. :)

Now--you check out some of the used book sellers on ABE, and the prices they
charge, and we can talk crooked....I realize that a lot of the books I keep
an eye out for online are also out of print and hard to find, but when I see
the prices some people charge for damaged books, I get annoyed.  If I'm
going to pay $100 for a book, it had better be in near-perfect condition or
be really old and rare.

Melissa Proffitt