Cous-cous

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 22 00:09:21 EST 2000

> Cous Cous is a whole different story. It's not pasta (there's
> some other
> Italian food a lot like it that's often served with pasta
> sauces, but I
> can't remember it's name right now),
Riselli?

> it's basically semolina
> but cooked so
> that the grains remain seperate and don't mush together: they stick
> together, but you can still crumble mass into seperate
> grains. The best cous
> cous I've ever had has always been served with a Moroccan
> vegetable soup.

Yum. We use it as a base for a chicken/tomato stew, or for grilled lamb
(with cumin etc).

I think its made (remembering various books of middle-eastern cooking) by
turning and turning the semolina. Traditionally by hand - but no doubt the
stuff we buy comes from a machine.

We then cook it with stock (lamb, chicken or veal). I really mean that Tom
(my husband) cooks it like that...as I don't cook much at all. You can buy
it pre-flavoured here, and all the cous-cous we've bought has been precooked
in some way. We'd like to try it "in the raw" so to speak and then we could
use our cous-cousier.

I had it once with pomegranate seeds and preserved lemon through
it...delicious.

Anita