dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #146

Tue Mar 21 19:35:53 EST 2000

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:47:59 PST, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

>Bourghoul is crushed wheat, but much coarser than semolina. The grains are
>about the size of a third of a grain of rice. Yummy served Arab style mixed
>into a tomato and cucumber salad (but the veggies need to be diced into tiny
>tiny pieces, which is an artform unto itself) and chopped up mint leaves and
>parsley and/or cilantro and lots of lemon. I've even had this with tiny
>pieces of lemon rind mixed in, zesty and surprisingly good. There's probably
>a bunch of olive oil in there somewhere as well.

Definitely olive oil.  I have been craving this stuff for a while, but
haven't found any around here that's really good.  I first had it, of all
places, at a big discount warehouse store in Portland, with black bean
hummus that was to die for.  Shovel a mound of the hummus and a mound of the
bulgur mess into half a pita and...mmmm....

We're having pigs in a blanket for dinner.  I may cry.

Melissa Proffitt

(Pigs in a blanket is basically hot dogs wrapped in dough with a slice of
cheese, baked in the oven.  You can see what a gourmet I am, between that
and the grilled cheese thing.)