dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #146

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Tue Mar 21 18:28:41 EST 2000

Gili said:

	"But then, their idea of falafel was tasteless and had the
> texture of deep fried peanut-butter, so I wouldn't pick their version of
> any
> "ethnic" food."

	lol!  It probably *was* deep fried peanut butter - or perhaps soy
butter (I haven't tried it yet, so I should slur it!).  I don't believe we
ever were served anything even approximating felafel.  That would be raising
the dining bar pretty high!

	Ha!  This makes me remember - one day I was standing in line next to
this student from France.  I ordered a "sloppy joe."  The person behind the
counter dolloped it out in frank and gruesome sloppy joe style - splurt!
right on to the waiting bun.  I have never seen *such* an expression of
horror, disdain, disbelief and disgust as I saw on my french classmate's
face.  It was absolutely hysterical.  It outraged every last one of his
principles, I think.  lol!   This food discussion is making my day.  Is
anyone blissful innocent unfamiliar with the "sloppy joe?"

	I'm off to have pierogies w/fried onions for dinner!

	Elise
	with a strange craving for pone