Amaizeing accounts

Karen M Frederickson frede005 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Mar 21 11:06:49 EST 2000

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Mary Ann Dimand wrote:

> I grew up in what I call a southern-culture [American] place. Not that many
> Americans have been there or are conscious of it, and they tend to think
> from the outside, "That's not the South!" The endemic culture, however, is a
> blend of southern and midwestern American culture. Not to be mysterious,
> it's Southern Illinois, six hours and worlds away from Chicago. Since corn
> pone, hominy and grits are (in the U.S.) more commonly served in the South
> than elsewhere, I grew up with them.

The kinds of things a person picks up reading American history! -- this,
circa mid-19th c., was called "Butternut country" because, I think, people
there often dyed their clothes with butternuts.  It did sort of merge into
the border-states (like Kentucky) culturally.

Karen
whose home state of Minnesota has
"L'etoile du nord" as its motto
the first whites here were voyageurs