We just can't get away from food... (was: Re: Mordion/Tess)

Mon Mar 20 15:40:54 EST 2000

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:53:25 +0100 (CET), Irina Rempt wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Anita Graham wrote:
>
>> I've eaten grits! Its like porridge but made with fine grain (maybe
>> a bit like a breakfast version of ...damn...what's that white
>> grainy stuff that used to be used for puddings...mind totally
>> gone... I know...sago) and eaten with syrup. Possibly its even more
>> tasteless than porridge.
>
>Not "semolina"? I sometimes eat semolina porridge for breakfast (with
>golden syrup and butter, mmm), and I know at least one other person
>who also does. Semolina is coarsely ground wheat, and I think sago is
>made from the pith of a palm tree. I don't think I've ever even seen
>sago; I used to think it was the same as tapioca.
>
>Come to think of it, "grits" may be the American word for "semolina"
>for all I know.

Grits are made from corn, not wheat.  I think it's fairly tasteless myself,
but then we usually have the instant kind....I really like Malt-o-Meal,
which is a wheat cereal like Cream o' Wheat, but with a coarser grain to it
(that's the part I prefer).

Melissa Proffitt