We just can't get away from food... (was: Re: Mordion/Tess)

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Mon Mar 20 06:22:59 EST 2000

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

> I can't think of a reference in DWJ where people dunk biscuits into
> tea, but I'm sure Vivian dunks her carob cornpone into her malty soy
> at some point in Time City.
>
> Come to think of it, what is a cornpone?  I'm sure I've encountered
> the word outside Time City, but I can't find it in the dictionary.

According to the Houghton Mifflin American Heritage Dictionary of the
English Language, Third Edition (as seen at www.dictionary.com):

   n. Cornmeal bread usually shaped into a flat cake and baked or
      fried on a griddle.
      Also called, regionally: ashcake, battercake, corn cake,
      hoecake, johnnycake, jonnycake, journey cake, mush bread,
      pone, Shawnee cake.

   adj. (informal) Folksy and homespun, as in manner or speech.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."