Young Adult series...

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Mon Mar 20 03:58:08 EST 2000

Gili wrote:

> latest Random House Catalogue, they have a new young-adult series, each of
> the titles seems to be written by a different author - which usually I would
> take as a warning sign for a mediocre series - but the authors are all names
> I've heard recommended.
>
> The series is called "Voyage of the Basset", recommended for 10 to 13 year
> olds, and these are the books that have come out so far:
>
> ISLANDS IN THE SKY by Tanith Lee
> THE RAVEN QUEEN by Terri Windling
>
> and out in June will be
>
> JOURNEY TO OTHERWHERE by Sherwood Smith

My view, FWIW:

I agree about the warning sign.

I've never read any Windling

The only Sherwood Smith I've read was a collaboration with (?) Dave Trowbridge,
and is now on my disposals pile.

But Tanith Lee has written some great books.  Also, in my experience, her
children's books are less likely to be disappointing than her adult books

So I for one may well try and get Islands, even if I don't read the rest.

But what's this about "young adult"?  When I first encountered the term, I took
it to mean ages 16-21 or so, but it already seemed to be moving down into the
general teen agegroup.  However this is the first time I've heard it used for
pre-teen!  (No offence to any 10-13 year olds on the list, of course)

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK